Sunday, July 1, 2012

"I write about Filipino food and I have a question for the panel." Suddenly, heads turned in the jam-packed session, and I had the speakers' undivided attention. I was a Filipino writer in a roomful of American and global food authorities in New York, and they wanted to know about our food. I never felt prouder of being Filipino.

A trip to the IACP

   As a member of the International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP), I was attending the 34th IACP Annual Conference held at the Millennium Hotel, New York City earlier this year. With the theme "The Fashion of Food," IACP members and culinary pros were treated to a melange of sessions, tours, demonstrations, trade shows, food and book expos, exhibits and parties. Why did the IACP hold its 34th conference in the "city that never sleeps"? Incoming President Doug Duda explained, "New York often gets the job of pronouncing 'What's New.' And how it sounds and looks. How it smells and tastes. And how people will hear about it, around the country and around the world. New York sets trends, fuels fads, and launches fashions in various industries --- especially in all things culinary."

  When I found out the conference was going to be in my New York stomping grounds, I had to go. My goal was to find out  why Filipino food was not easily accepted by Americans. I arrived at 8 AM at the hotel. It was cold and windy, and I buttoned my leather coat for warmth. I boldly walked towards the lobby with my heavy leather camera, iPad and gadgets. On the 8th floor, the breakfast tables were filled with pastries, bagels, muffins, cheese. The powerful aroma all brewed coffee filled the room. Soft chatter, someone's lifting laughter, the clink of cups on saucers could be heard. Food celebrities were everywhere. Everyone was connecting with old and new friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment